10 Things You Just Shouldn’t Do In Front Of Your Kids…
January 16, 2014
Between baby Lisa’s mom admitting she was drunk when her daughter disappeared and this stellar dad making his 9-year-old daughter drive because he was too drunk to do it himself, I’m a little disturbed that so many parents can’t seem to comprehend “being a good parent” 101. Like, for example, you shouldn’t get wasted when you have a child to take care of.
It seems like it should go without saying, but apparently not. So for anyone who was unclear, here are 10 things you should never do in front of your child.
1. Get drunk. Seems simple enough, right? But let’s just reinforce it for anyone who’s a little murky on the details. If there is a child under your care, you shouldn’t be getting hammered. And yes, this still applies even if the child is asleep.
2. Smoke cigarettes. If you want to give yourself lung cancer, that’s totally your decision. But no child should be subjected to secondhand smoke. That’s just cruel.
3. Curse. There’s a good chance that if you curse in front of your kids, they’ll curse, too. Some people think it’s cute when kids curse–I’m not one of them.
4. Act like a stripper. If your daughter sees you dropping it like it’s hot, be prepared for her to do the same. And in 12 years, when she’s 16, don’t be surprised if she comes home pregnant.
5. Watch reality TV, namely any reality TV show that has anything to do with being a wife and/or housewife. That includes all of the Real Housewives franchises, plus Basketball Wives. As if the prevalence with which they refer to each other as b*tches wasn’t bad enough, they fight like crazy.
6. Fight. Speaking of fighting, it’s not okay to get into a screaming match–and definitely not a physical altercation–in front of your kid. Your child should never have to calm you down or get in between you and another adult.
7. Drugs. And yes, pot counts as a drug. They’re illegal for a reason and your kid shouldn’t think it’s okay to do them.
8. Belittle, undermine or disrespect the other parent. Whether or not you get along with your child’s mom/dad doesn’t make it okay to jeopardize their relationship. If you have something negative to say, at least wait until the kid is out of earshot.
9. Lie. I know, every parent lies. Especially to his/her kids. But whenever possible, don’t lie to someone else in front of your kid. It will be pretty hard to teach your kid not to lie to you when they see you doing it to other people.
10. Put yourself down. Even if you’re not perfect (which, of course, all of us parents are…), your child looks up to you and it does no good for them to hear you say you’re not good enough or that you’re too this or that. Same goes for your kid–if you don’t have anything nice to say, make something up!
Did I miss anything? What things won’t you do in front of your kids? Share in the comments.