10 Things No Self-Respecting Woman Should Ever Have In Her Closet
August 20, 2012
We wrote a book–did you hear!? It’s called WEAR THIS NOW: Your Style Solution for Every Season and Any Occasion, published by Harlequin, and it’s going to be in bookstores next week (!) The average woman spends a whopping two years of her life standing in front of her closet, wondering why she can’t find a single thing to wear, so our book is a reference to keep on hand during those epic closet stares.
Here’s an excerpt, especially for you. If you’ve got these in your closet, it’s time to say goodbye. Your closet will have more room for better things! (See our sales and deals section for help on that.)
1.White T-shirts with any holes or stains, including yellowed underarm stains–No, you are not allowed to wear them to the gym or even to sleep in, however, you can use them as rags if you must!
2. Anything with polka-dots–Even if they come back in season briefly, they never last, and more often than not, you end up looking like a 5-year old in them. Don’t bother.
3. Sweatshirts–you are allowed to keep ONE college sweatshirt for the homecoming game. Ditch the rest.
4. Light-Wash jeans–They will always make you look fat—it’s a universal truth.
5. Mom Jeans that are high-wasted and tapered–They may be comfortable, but if you’ve ever seen a makeover show, you know everyone looks like crap in them
6. Sweatpants with anything written across your butt.
7. Bridesmaid Dresses–even though she said you could wear it again, you can’t.
8. Free employer t-shirts, baseball caps, sweatshirts (see #3) – no one cares that you were on the 2011 super team marketing launch.
9. T-shirts that hit above the hip.
10. Cotton sweaters–They stretch out and fade. Go for cashmere or merino wool.
If you’ve got ’em – toss ’em – they’re not doing you any favors! Get more insider tips from WEAR THIS NOW, by SHEfinds Founder and CEO Michelle Madhok and SHEfinds Senior Editor, Eileen Conlan.