7 Interesting Things You Might Not Know About Starbucks
July 9, 2015
I’m convinced Starbucks is taking over the world. The company founded in 1971 has completely revolutionized the idea of gourmet coffee. Millions of people wait in long lines every morning (and afternoon…and night) just to get their favorite drink, which will cost a pretty penny. Considering come people think of Starbucks as a second home, here are seven interesting facts about your favorite coffeemakers.
1. There are more than 22,000 retail stores in 66 countries. This number isn’t too shocking, seeing how there’s a Starbucks on virtually every corner in NYC.
2. Starbucks owns Teavana. Ever wonder why you see Teavana products on the menu and sold in Starbucks stores? Well, they own them! High-end coffee and high-end tea. It’s the best of both worlds.
3. The original name was Pequod. The name is inspired by Moby-Dick and originally was going to be the name of the whaling ship. They decided against it and Starbucks is an ode to the first mate.
4. There’s a secret cup size. It’s an 8 oz. cup and it’s called “short.” Starbucks doesn’t offer it unless you ask for it. It’s also known as the kids size.
5. The circular tables serve a purpose. They make people who are at Starbucks alone feel less lonely, and it creates the illusion that there aren’t any “empty” seats.
6. Smiling is a part of the job. No, really. It’s in the job description. Smiling is a way to bond with customers.
7. The 31 oz. Trenta is larger than a human stomach. The average stomach capacity is 900 mL and the Trenta is 916 mL.