How To Wear Jogger Shorts (Yes, You Can Do It. No, You Don't Have To Be Gisele.)
June 13, 2013
We’ve been seeing sporty jogger shorts everywhere this season. With an adjustable drawstring waistband and a fairly forgiving fit, they’re a fun departure from regular shorts and despite what you’re probably thinking, they can actually be flattering–if your wear them right. Which of course begs the question: how the heck do you wear them without looking like you’re about to embark on a run? We’ve got a few styling tips that will guarantee passersby know you’re headed to the latest hot spot, not the gym. It’s easy:
1. Pair joggers with wedges or heels. Elongate your legs, and eliminate any confusion about whether you’re about to exercise.
2. If you must wear flats, opt for strappy gladiators. They’ll accentuate your gams and play nicely off the sporty trend.
3. Wear a structured, tucked in top. We’re big fans of slouchy off the shoulder tees and sweatshirts, but with these shorts, opt for something a little dressier. Otherwise, your outfit may look sloppy.
4. Fit is key. If they’re too small, joggers bunch unattractively around your thighs. If they’re too big, they resemble pajama bottoms. If you’re in between sizes, we recommend going up a size and having your shorts tailored if need be.
5. Go for a wild fabric or crazy pattern. While basic gym joggers are often a solid color, this season’s fashion joggers come in a variety of tribal, floral, and other trendy prints, as well as fun faux leather and metallic fabrics.
[Photo: Lee Oliveira]