Make Every Day Casual Friday: How To Wear Spring's Pajama Trend
April 11, 2012
It’s a pretty out-there idea, wearing pajamas to the office. Or out for drinks. Really, wearing PJs anywhere outside your apartment has been pretty much frowned upon … until now.
Goodness knows how it happened (maybe it has something to do with the recession, you know, like the lipstick index), but apparently it’s a thing now to wear pajama pieces (or whole sets) in almost any setting. This is one of the trickier trends we’ve seen, and is best avoided if you’re not totally sure you can make it work — but for those brave souls interested in seriously simplifying their morning routine by going straight from bed to boardroom, below are some of our styling suggestions:
- Avoid lace: you don’t want things to get that boudoir.
- Another note on material: silk or a silk-like synthetic blend are a must. No cotton or jersey, or you’ll quickly go from chic to sloppy.
- Wear heels: wedges are a good option, but we’ve also seen stilettos work. Just no ballet flats or loafers — the idea is to have your accessories deviate from the PJ theme.
- Try one piece at a time, or mis-match prints: the head-to-toe PJ look is best reserved for street style stars.
- For a less literal look, stay away from pinstripes or sweet, small prints: a splashy floral or geometric pattern takes the trend further from bedroom territory.
- This isn’t a pants-only party: silky shorts and button-down tops are another good way to test out the trend.