10 Must-Haves for New Moms You Won't Find on a Baby Registry
October 21, 2011
The amount of things you can add to your baby registry is astounding. From strollers and high chairs, to baby carriers and swaddle blankets, the list just goes on and on. But what about gifts for mom? Yes, a breastfeeding pillow is nice, but what about adding these 10 new mom must-haves to the list? Because happy mama = happy baby.
1. Sunglasses. All those midnight feedings, diaper changes, and I’m-miserable-so-I’m-going-make-everyone-else-miserable kind of nights will take their toll on you. The easiest way to hide the evidence? Sunglasses. The bigger the better.
2. Spanx. No time to hit the gym or just not up for it…yet? Fake it with some Spanx. They slim you down, smooth you out and basically make your clothes look better on you. Need extra help? Double up. I’ve heard it works.
3. A Cleaning Lady. It would be fabulous to have a full-time cleaning lady, but even having someone come once a month for a deep clean is worth it. Really. You can use that time to spend with your baby.
4. A Smart Phone. Take pics and video of your babe and instantly text it to Grandma, surf the web, email…and don’t forget about the apps! There’s Instagram (I’m officially addicted), baby feeding and napping tracker apps, and let’s not forget about the fun, educational apps that will come in handy when baby gets older.
5. A Trusty Babysitter. There will be times when you need a break, so whether it’s your mom, neighbor or someone you actually hire, give yourself the permission to let baby out of your sight. She’ll be fine, and if not you’re just a phone call away (see #4).
6. Girlfriends. Having a baby is life-changing. Like seriously. And sometimes you just need to vent. As Dionne Warwick fabulously sang…that’s what friends are for.
7. TiVo or any DVR. You know those nights when you’re up all night with baby? Forget the books or magazines (your arms will probably be holding baby anyway). Record your favorite TV shows (even the trashy ones) and enjoy.
8. Spa Sonic Skin Care Kit. Every second counts when you’re a new mom, and considering how expensive it costs to raise a kid these days (those diapers alone!), every penny counts, too. The Spa Sonic turns your basic shower session into a spa session with removable brush heads that clean, exfoliate, smooth and soften your skin on your face AND body…all for just $65. Leaves you with extra dough to spend on beauty products!
9. A Yoga Ball…Balance Ball…Fitness Ball. Call it what you like, but I call them miracle balls. Seriously. Have a bad back? A flabby tummy? A colicky baby? Yoga ball to the rescue.
10. A Mommy Makeover. I’m not suggesting to do anything extreme. Just a little cut. Because your practical pony tail is, well, practical, but there’s always room for improvement. Besides, there’s something about a great haircut that makes you feel like a million bucks. Am I right or am I right?
Did I miss anything? Share in the comments below.
Sign up for our newsletter to get even more finds delivered right to your inbox.
Click here to email Farah, the author of this post