There are certain things you can say to a pregnant woman that are universally acceptable like “Congratulations!” and “I’m so happy for you.” And then there are things that you should keep to yourself. For example, any comment about how ‘huge’ she is? Not cool. That being said, here are 10 things you should never say to a pregnant woman.
1. Are you having twins? You’re huge! Or any comment about how big she is. Or how small she is, for that matter. Women are sensitive about this sort of thing even when they’re not pregnant, so to say it when she’s pregnant? Not a good idea. If you absolutely must comment on her appearance, focus on something positive instead. No, it doesn’t include something along the lines of “You make cankles look sexy.”
2. Can I rub your belly? It’s nice of you to ask, unlike some people who just freely cop a feel, but unless you’re really close, don’t ask. If mom-to-be wants you to feel her belly, she’ll tell you. And unless the baby’s kicking, there’s not much to feel anyway.
3. Should you really be eating that? Just because she wants to finish her meal with a hot fudge sundae and a milkshake on the side, doesn’t mean you should go Dr. Oz on her and lecture her on the importance of a healthy diet. She probably knows it. Besides, she’s not a kid so don’t tell her what to eat.
4. Didn’t you just have a baby? It doesn’t matter if this is her first baby or her sixth…if she’s pregnant again after one year or five. Just congratulate the woman and keep the snark to yourself.
5. Did you have the baby yet? It seems like you’ve been pregnant forever! If you haven’t heard any baby news yet, chances are she’s still pregnant, so don’t go asking every other day if she’s had her baby. She doesn’t need to be reminded of how very, very pregnant she is.
6. Are you getting fixed after having baby? This question is never appropriate unless you’re her OBGYN. And it’s not as if she’s ‘broken’ and requires fixing.
7. It’s because you’re hormonal. It’s never a good idea to bring up the topic of hormones to a woman who probably has raging hormones. Period.
8. You have to pee again? Yes, she probably does, and you don’t need to keep track.
9. Were you trying or was it a surprise? What does it matter? And, really, why is it any of your business?
10. I lost all my baby weight within a month. Well, good for you, but it’s not the same for everyone. Mama has enough to worry about, so no need to add another thing to stress over. She’ll lose the weight when she’s good and ready, and she hasn’t even given birth yet!
What are some of the annoying things that you’ve been asked or told during your pregnancy? Share in the comments below.
Shop the best maternity jeans in our buying guides.
Sign up for our newsletter to get even more finds delivered right to your inbox.
Click here to email Farah, the author of this post.