SLIDESHOW: 20 Secrets To Looking Like A Total Sexpot At The Beach
June 1, 2012
June 1, 2012
1. Oversize summer hat
1. Oversize floppy hat. Nothing exudes mystery at the beach like an oversize floppy hat. Plus, it keeps your skin looking good. Win-win. San Tropez hat, $54 at Fred Flare.
2. Winged tip eyeliner
2. Get that signature winged tip eyeliner look all of the famous sexpots wore, but BETTER: this version is not only waterproof, but it comes with a felt tip so it doesn't take all morning to apply. Girl's got things to do! Buxom Waterproof Pen & Ink Long Last eyeliner, $20 at Sephora.
3. Ruched retro one piece
3. Ruched retro one piece. Norma Kamali is an old school beauty herself: no wonder she knows all about how to get just the right amount of ruching to make your bod look slammin' in a one piece swimsuit. Norma Kamali mailott, $350 at Net-A-Porter.
4. Retro Mailott
4. Retro Mailott. Oh, hey, another gorgeous one-piece. Because pin-ups don't go to the gym--they're totally secure with their voluptuous bodies. Show it off in this black and white Cannes mailott, $138 at Anthropologie.
5. Cat eye sunglasses
5. Cat eye sunglasses. You kinda can't even try to be a retro sexpot without a pair of these retro staples. Luckily, they're on-trend so you won't look super costumey. Elizabeth and James cat eye sunglasses, $155 at Zappos.
6. High waist, printed bikini
6. High waist, printed bikini. Gonna go full-on bikini? Do it the retro way, with high waist swimsuit trunks, and stop with all of those crunches. Summer is here--time to celebrate, not start a fad diet. (Am I right?! Who's with me?) Retro poppy bikini, $78 at Anthropologie.
8. Halter bikini
8. Halter bikini. The gorgeous technicolor cobalt blue color of this classic halter bikini is what glamour is all about. Charlie by Matthew Zink swimsuit, $105 from $210 at Net-A-Porter.
9. Platform shoes
9. Platform shoes. Flip flops do nothing for your legs: show off your cherry red pedicure and your hot gams at the same time in these aptly-named platforms. Pin-Up platforms, $90 at Anthropologie.
10. Gingham top
10. Gingham top. This is always classic for summer--wear this effortlessly sexy top with your high waist bikini bottoms (and the platforms!) and you're in business. J.Crew gingham shirt, $175 at J.Crew.
11. Polka dot retro bikini
11. Polka dot retro bikini. Is there anything sexier than this extreme polka dot bikini? Norma Kamali from $195 at Bergdorf Goodman.
12. Red lipstick
12. Red lipstick. A Marilyn without her red lipstick was unheard of. Waterproof red lippy to the rescue. Aqua lip pencil, at Makeup Forever.
13. Corset romper
13. Romper. With a built-in corset top, this is practically calling Marilyn's name. Just add some lipstick! Twenty8Twelve romper, $360 at Shopbop.
15. Printed short-shorts
15. Printed short shorts. What's a beach blanket bingo party without a pair of super tiny printed shorts? Tory Burch printed shorts, $78 from $195 at Tory Burch.
14. Matte Sunblock
14. Matte Sunblock. Those old school glamour girls shied away from the sun: a perfect excuse to lather on that SPF. Get rid of the greasy look and feel with a picture-perfect matte sunscreen like this Murad oil free matte sunscreen, $31 at Sephora.
16. SPF shampoo.
16. SPF shampoo. After studying hundreds of photos of Bettie Page and others, one thing I've noticed: pin-up girls rarely get their hair wet. Whether you're a swimmer or not, use an SPF shampoo so your scalp doesn't get burnt, 'cause that's not hot, either. Warren Tricomi Pure Strength shampoo with SPF 15, $20 at Amazon.
17. Sexy hair--and Bobby pins
17. Bobby pins are your friend, too. Use them to give yourself a Brigitte Bardot messy bun or just part your hair to the side and let the beach wind do the trick. These are the cutest we've found. Flower pins, $4.50 at Charlotte Russe.
18. Striped tee
18. Striped tee. There's a reason this tee is named after Brigitte Bardot: it's effortlessly chic and perfect with a bikini. Bardot tee, $92 at Piperlime.
19. Polka dot pants
19. Polka dot pants. Want to exude even more mystery? Try these polka dot pants on your walk to the beach or poolside. $145 at Revolve Clothing.
20. Printed shorts
20. Printed shorts. OR, Show off those legs, girl! Wear your retro halter bikini top with these adorable Kenny "pin-up" shorts, $100 from $143 at Shopbop.
Tags:What To Wear To
1 of 22
1 of 22