25 Things I Want to Teach My Daughter Before She's a Teenager...
January 26, 2012
Way back when…
This morning I was having a conversation with my daughter on the way to the babysitter’s house. Like, a full out, coherent conversation. And it struck me that my baby is not a baby anymore. I’m not even very sentimental, but I was immediately choked up thinking how fast the time has gone. She will be in school in no time and then she’ll be in college and that’s when the floodgates opened.
Now that I’ve composed myself, I decided to make an important list of things I must teach my little girl before she starts hating me becomes a teenager. So here goes…
1. Being a reality star is not a viable career path. I would honestly rather you work at the Gap. Only if you let me use your discount, of course.
2. No matter how much people pay you, you should never fight, strip or act like a complete fool in front of cameras.
3. It’s okay if you want to cut your hair short like Shiloh Jolie-Pitt. I will love you just the same.
5. You are good at math.
6. And science and technology and sports, too!
7. Always aim to be the smartest in your class. If you’re the best dressed, too, even better.
8. All boys are not bad. But don’t waste time on the ones that are.
9. You are not a princess. But that doesn’t mean you don’t deserve to be treated like one every once in a while.
10. Yes, I love you even when I yell and get mad at you.
11. I’d love for you to grow up and become incredibly wealthy, but I’d more love for you to be happy.
12. You are amazing just as you are. Don’t overcompensate for what you feel you’re lacking or dumb yourself down for others.
13. Don’t call people names. It just makes you look bad.
14. Don’t post naked pictures of yourself on Facebook. Or anywhere for that matter. Same goes for anything you wouldn’t want your mom seeing. I’m tech-savvy and no matter how much things change I will find out. And you will be punished.
15. Boys are not supposed to hit girls, but they sometimes do. If it happens to you, hit back. Harder.
16. People will call you names, but remember whose daughter you are. Mine, but God’s too. He created you in His likeness and that is significant no matter what some bully says.
17. Quitting is a bad thing except when it’s not.
18. Don’t do drugs. You’re not missing out. Really.
19. Having babies is awesome. But not when you can’t afford to take care of them. And if you’re a teenager, my taking care of babies days are over. So don’t even look this way.
20. If you fail, try again. Or try something different.
21. No, you were not a mistake. You are the best thing I ever did.
22. Save money. For goodness sake, you really cannot pay bills with shoes. Save. Money.
23. Your happiness is not dependent on someone else. Love yourself and others will do the same.
24. I am your mother and there is nothing I wouldn’t do for you. I love you beyond words.
25. Now matter where in the world we are I am your mother and yes, you’ll always have to do exactly as I say.
What about you? What are some essential values you want your daughter to have? Share in the comments.
Sign up for our newsletter to get even more finds delivered right to your inbox.
Click here to email Jeanine, the author of this post.