5 DIY Hair Treatments That Will Totally Transform Your Strands
Rachel Jacoby Zoldan
July 21, 2015
If you’re looking for beautifully spun golden highlights, a rich brown hue or something a bit more exotic, look no further than Kyle White, lead colorist at New York City’s Oscar Blandi Salon. The stylist, who has dyed the locks of celebrities like Mariah Carey is known for his million-dollar results–which yes, sadly, come with a high (and hard-to-book!) price tag. Thankfully, we got White to spill his favorite at-home hair treatments that can make you look like a million bucks–for only a fraction of the cost.
1. Coconut Oil Conditioner: Heat up a tablespoon of coconut oil in the microwave for 15 seconds, then distribute through hair. Sleep with it overnight, then shampoo out in the morning for deeply hydrated hair. Bonus: You’ll temporarily seal the cuticle, which will reduce the appearance of split ends.
2. Grape Kool-Aid Rinse: Brunettes can eliminate red and orange tones from their strands with this brilliant, almost nostalgic hair hack. Just pour through and rinse out to eliminate summertime brassiness caused by chlorine, saltwater and sun.
3. Coffee Rinse: Those with lighter brown hair can drink the Kool-Aid by doing the exact same as above, but with coffee instead. Make sure it’s cooled down–you definitely don’t want a hot brew here.
4. Cranberry Rinse: Make red hair super vibrant by rinsing your hair with the juice (not the sugary cocktail juice) the next time you shower. You’ll smell delicious afterwards, too.
5. Peppermint Scalp Treatment: Mix one cup of water with four drops of peppermint oil and apply to strands in quarter-inch sections, then rinse thoroughly with warm water and a final cool shot. Peppermint helps improve blood flow (and stimulate growth) in the scalp; its astringent properties keep things clean up top.