It’s almost officially summertime and I couldn’t be more excited! It’s the best time of year to experiment with grilling all types of food, and that includes fruit. Most people don’t think to grill fruit but it’s honestly a great way to enjoy it in a different way than usual. When you grill fruit, it allows their natural sugars to caramelize, so it really ups the taste factor. Below is a list of the five best fruits to grill and things they go well with.
1. Pineapple is probably one of the most popular grilled fruits. It goes great with chicken, so try adding pineapple onto a skewer for your next chicken kebabs!
2. Pears are one of my favorite grilled fruits. The best way (in my opinion) is to enjoy grilled pears with brie cheese, arugula and caramelized onions on top of pizza crust.
3. Watermelon is the ideal fruit for summertime enjoyment. Serve grilled watermelon with feta cheese and mint tossed in a little olive oil. It’s the perfect summer salad for any BBQ.
4. Peaches are extremely versatile when they are grilled. Enjoy them with ice cream, steak or diced up in a fresh salsa. Be sure to keep the skin on as they are a bit more delicate than other fruits.
5. Bananas coated in brown sugar taste amazing once they are grilled. Simply cut the banana in half, dust in brown sugar and grill! Add it to ice cream for the most epic banana split.
What are your favorite fruits to grill?