It may feel like summer is starting to wind down, but the truth is we still have at least six more weeks of warm weather and sunshine. While sunscreen may be synonymous with summer, the truth is you should be using sunscreen all year round. Those damaging UVA and UVB rays don’t go away just because the weather cools down.
If you’ve been slacking on your sun protection, don’t worry we won’t tell. But what we will do is offer up these essential sunscreen tips and tricks from dermatologist, Dr. Jeanine Downie to help you keep your skin healthy from here on out. Now is the time to start!
1. When looking for the right sunscreen, choose a broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher, that also has hydrating properties, which restores skin’s barrier and reduces moisture loss.
2. You should apply sunscreen 20 minutes before you leave the house and re-apply at least every 2 hours. Always bring sunscreen with you and re-apply throughout the day. It’s not enough to put sunscreen on just in the morning!
3. Make sure to use 1 oz. of sunscreen on all exposed skin. Pay careful attention to face, neck, ears, back of neck and hands.
4. Store your sunscreen next to products that you use every day to ensure that you incorporate sun protection into your daily beauty routine. Sunscreen should be kept by deodorant and toothpaste.
5. Sunscreen doesn’t just protect against harmful UVA/UVB rays, it also slows down the aging process.
Now with all the options out there, you’re probably looking for some help narrowing down the choices. Jennifer Aniston is a fan of AVEENO® Protect + Hydrate™ SPF 30, and we agree! This hydrating formula protects skin against chlorine, salt water and sweat, while also offering long-lasting, broad spectrum protection against sun’s rays. Even better, it helps skin feel even softer and suppler after sun exposure than before.