Every year at around this time, moms are in a frenzy trying to get their children ready to go back to school and retailers are doing anything they can to get those moms in their stores. But you know who’s missing from all the craziness? The teachers! Class can’t start without a teacher and we think it’s about time people started showing them some love, too.
With that in mind, we put together a fun little back to school shopping guide just for all you teachers out there. You probably already know all the places to score good deals on classroom supplies, but we’ve got your closet covered. Here are 6 things every teacher should have plenty of before she starts the new school year.
1. Anything-but-boring pencil skirts. Straight black skirts are fine, but they’re not all that exciting. So why not switch things up this school year with some skirts that are equally as modest in a cool print or eye-popping colorblock pattern?
2. Cool flats. There are so many amazing comfortable, flat shoes this fall, you’ll have no problem finding a bunch you love and putting them in a weekly rotation. Look for interesting silhouettes, lush materials like velvet and calf hair and quirky details like creepy critters.
3. Silky button-front tops. This is what we call a staple top. No matter what you’ve got going on down below–be it a skirt, pants or jeans–these tops are so versatile. Our favorites are made by Equipment, but we found lots more budget-friendly options in the slideshow.
4. Fit-everything tote. Teachers tend to lug around a lot of stuff, which means a sturdy, durable oversize tote is a must. If you can only splurge on one item, make it a good bag. Not only will it last longer, but most higher end handbag companies will perform repairs if necessary.
5. Perfect black pants. Raining? Feeling bloated? Just have nothing else to wear? Making sure you have a few pairs or perfectly-fitting black pants will ensure you’re never wasting precious time in the morning trying to put together an outfit.
6. A cozy cardigan. Whether it’s cold in your classroom or just chilly when you leave at the crack of dawn to be to work in the a.m., you should have plenty of pretty, warm sweaters on hand. We love this one from Topshop because it’s super soft and looks good with just about everything.
Now that you know what you need, it’s time to go shopping! Click through the slideshow for the items we handpicked for teachers shopping on a budget.