6 Tips For Being More Confident In Work, Love And Life
October 20, 2014
Wish that you had the bravado to ask for a promotion or give your number to that hot guy at the bar? Confidence comes naturally for some of us, while others have to practice at it. I just so happen to fall in the latter group, which is why I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to attend a seminar hosted by Marshalls here in NYC about being more confident. I was actually pleasantly surprised to come away with a few tips that, believe it or not, have really been working for me. You should try them, too.
1. Make eye contact. 70% of women believe that eye contact is the strongest external cue to display confidence according to research by Marshalls, and the way you look at each other really is the MOST important part of flirting. The best way to naturally emit an electric chemistry which is difficult to resist is to look directly into someone’s eyes during about 75% of the conversation while appreciating their best qualities.
2. Wear red. Men notice and are more attracted to women wearing red. If you really want to have him sweating, break out a form-fitting red dress or leather handbag and sit back while the compliments flow.
3. Have a “go-to” outfit. A key element of my personal style is being comfortable, focusing less on what’s “in style” and more on how it makes me feel, says actress Emmanuelle Chriqui. “My personal uniform is some combination of jeans, a tailored blazer, a t-shirt and boots. Marshalls is a great place to find these pieces all at prices that won’t break the bank!”
4. Invest in your personal brand. Before you go into a situation in which you are going to negotiate your salary or promotion, treat yourself to a new pair of designer heels, break out a new crisp blazer over that shift dress, get a blowout and dress to impress to make sure you can go in feeling your best. Stores like Marshalls are great because you can find designer pieces for an amazing price–so you can feel good about investing in your brand since the quality fashion will last season after season.
5. Know your core talents. A finely honed talent (or two) that you have mastered is worth much more in the marketplace than a bunch of skills that you are pretty good at performing. The fewer the number of people that can do the thing that you can do, the more indispensable you become and the more you’ll get paid. Figure out your core talents and confidently develop them to be the best you can be.
6. Show off (a little). One of the best ways to instantly bring out your inner flirtatiousness is to wear something that makes you feel confident–try wearing a flip skirt to show off your gorgeous legs or a pretty V-neck cable knit sweater to show off your feminine collarbone.