7 Things Every Recent Grad Should Have In Her Closet
June 11, 2015
Graduating from college is such an exciting time. There are so many memories to look back on and tons of new things to look forward to. In order to celebrate your journey into “the real world” there are certain aspects of college life that should be left behind. First and foremost, I’m talking about the things you most likely have in your closet at the moment. Sky high pumps, mini skirts and crop tops. Am I right? It’s time to ditch them! Here are seven things you should have in your closet once you graduate college.
1. A nice blazer. Having a blazer as part of your wardrobe is imperative. They are professional, versatile and instantly dress up any outfit. Plus, you’ll need a blazer when you are going on job interviews. It’s good to invest in one to have for years to come.
2. Pencil skirt and dress pants. Just like the blazer, you will need a chic pencil skirt and appropriate dress pants for interviewing and potential office attire, depending on your companies dress code. Obviously, make sure the skirt isn’t too tight or short and the pants should be clean cut and not too skinny in the leg.
3. A trustworthy bag. Once you get a job you’ll have to commute there and that means lugging all your stuff. Spend money on a quality bag that you know will last for a long time. It’s definitely worth it in the long run. Make sure it’s big enough to fit everything you’ll need and that it’s comfortable to carry.
4. Appropriate heels. It’s time to retire the platform heels…for the daytime at least. You cannot show up to a job interview or a business meeting wearing chunky platform booties. It’s completely unprofessional and you’ll stick out like a sore thumb. Opt for a simple pair of heels in a neutral color so you can get good use out of them. The key is to be able to last in them all day and look put together.
5. A trench coat. It’s hard to look professional and stylish in the rain, but a nice trench coat will do the trick. It’ll save you from being soaked and you’ll look good. A trench coat will have you looking mature and ready to take on the world.
6. Little black dress. This one is kind of obvious. Ditch the skimpy dresses you wore all through college and find a dress that suits your new grown up style. This dress will be your go-to solution when you’re in a rush. Of course, be sure it isn’t too revealing or short.
7. Chic, yet professional flats. It can be hard to find a pair of flats that are comfortable, professional and long-lasting. Try leather flats with a slightly pointed toe. These will elevate any ensemble.
With these essential items you’ll be on your way to a more mature style, now that you’re a college grad and all!