I’m sure by now you’ve heard of the newest cast member to join the Netflix series Orange Is the New Black. No? Well, her name is Ruby Rose and she’s taking the Internet by storm. The 29-year-old Australia native has been making quite a name for herself in the media. Not only is she drop dead gorgeous, but she is an advocate against bullying, mental health awareness and animal welfare. Here are eight things you need to know about this rising star.
1. Her real name is Ruby Rose. Ruby Rose Langenheim was born in 1986 in Melbourne, Australia. She was raised by her mother, Katia Langenheim, who is an artist.
2. She’s openly gay. Ruby came out at age 12 and calls herself “very fortunate to not face discrimination” based on her sexuality. She says, “As a younger person, I definitely felt less at ease with people’s reaction to my sexuality.” She was bullied in her younger years because she was different, and was even hospitalized after a fellow student hit her in the back of the head with a metal chair. “The whole school knew I was going to be beaten up that day, apparently, except me,” she recalls.
3. Ruby is very open about her bipolar disorder. She has no problem talking about her struggles with bipolar and PTSD.
4. She’s engaged. Ruby is engaged to fashion designer Phoebe Dahl, granddaughter of author Roald Dahl. The couple lives in Los Angeles and are completely adorable together, as proven by Instagram. They seem so in love!
5. Ruby is a model and DJ. She puts her good looks to work as the face of Maybelline New York in Australia. Ruby has the company slogan “maybe she’s born with it” tattooed on her collarbone. She’s also a DJ and actually got her start on MTV as a VJ.
6. Justin Bieber might be her long lost twin. The two finally met this past weekend at EDC in Las Vegas. They snapped a bunch of pics and prove they just might be related…
7. She identifies as gender fluid. Ruby wrote, produced and starred in a viral video called ‘Break Free‘, which is a short film about gender roles and challenging the status quo. The video has just over 6 million views on YouTube. She says of the video, “I am very gender fluid and feel more like I wake up every day sort of gender neutral. I cop a fair bit of flack for going from ‘such a babe to such a boy’. I wanted to share (that) story.”
8. She has about 30 tattoos. “I don’t actually know how many I have. If you counted them individually it would be, like, 30 or something, but some of them are grouped together as one piece. As for my first one, I lived in Germany when I was 16, and I came back home with a tongue ring. My mom was like, ‘Get that filthy thing out of your mouth.’ She said if I got rid of the piercing I could get a tattoo,” she says.
Catch her as Litchfield’s newest inmate Stella Carlin.
[Photo: Splash News]