8 Types Of Sandals Every Girl Needs In Her Closet This Spring
April 14, 2014
Now that spring has really sprung, and you’re finally not wearing boots almost every day, it’s time to start considering what sandals you’ll be wearing for spring and summer. You probably have a few of these pairs already from our spring shoe trend guide, but we’ve got some more styles that you’ll likely want to add to your wardrobe. Whether you’re into a statement-making gladiator or traditional flip flop, there’s a pair for every occasion you have planned for the warmer months. From chunky mid-heels to sporty sandals, read on to learn about what open toe styles you can choose from this season. Then check out our slideshow to shop ’em all and start scheduling those routine pedicures.
1. Chunky Heel: If you’re looking for sandals with just the right amount of height, then a pair with a chunky, mid-heel is easy to walk in and super flattering. You’ll most likely find yourself ditching your under-$50 flat sandals for these during the summer.
2. Sporty: Designers including Marc Jacobs, Prada, and Jil Sander created sports-inspired sandals for this season. Wear them out at the beach, the park, even brunch, too — just don’t actually attempt to play any sports in them.
3. Midi Wedge: In addition to the chunky heel, there’s also this version of a sandal that adds height without losing comfort. Opt for a statement-making style like a metallic pastel pink or a nude-and-white color combo.
4. Gladiator: Remember Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen wearing these bad boys back in 2007? Total throwback. Chances are only a few of us shoppers will opt for the knee-high version (and if you do, get it, girl!), so we suggest going for a style that hits right at the ankle or even up to the bottom of your calf. Wear them with shorts, a sun dress, or slip them under your skinny jeans.
5. One-Strap Stiletto: This particular style is for all of those upcoming bachelorette parties, summer weddings, and ladies’ nights, you’ve added to your iCalendar. The shoe you’ll likely pair with both your slew of freakum’ dresses and cocktail-attire outfits. But don’t undermine the versatility of this sexy stiletto, they perfectly dress up a pair of boyfriend jeans or printed track pants.
6. Flatbed: Another 90’s staple that made its way back into our lives. Thanks to our memories of comfortably sporting Birkenstocks all throughout our teenage years, we finally have a reason to wear them again. And if Birks were never your thing but you still want a sandal that’s sturdy and snug, there’s a ton of different flatbed styles that you’ll want to wear.
7. Espadrille: We mentioned before that espadrilles made a major comeback this season, especially in bright colors, embellishments, and textured materials. But if you’re looking for a sandal version of your favorite espadrille flat, then you’re in luck. You’ll most likely find this style as a peep-toe wedge in materials like canvas and chambray.
8. Fashion Flip Flop: If fashion sneakers are a thing, then consider the traditional flip flop the next shoe item to get a designer update. With collaboration designs by Valentino and Mara Hoffman, the Brazilian sandal brand Havaianas are on roll at keeping their popular flip flops far from being a fashion faux pas.