It’s hard to be original when throwing a party these days, let alone a baby shower. How many diaper cakes, cutesy booties and pink and blue streamers can look at before you’re allowed to scream, “This may be a baby shower, but we’re not babies!!” If you’re planning a shower (or your own is in the works), try some of these sophisticated, grown-up decorations that will work for other non-baby themed parties, too (try that with a giant stork centerpiece!).
1. Instead of an invitation with a duck or lamb motif, opt for the fill-in-the-blank variety such as these letterpress invites ($19 for 10 cards) by William Arthur. If there are some left over, you can use them again for another event.
2. Tired of pastel cakes shaped like baby carriages? Try decorating cupcakes with these pretty flower cupcake toppers ($56 for 24) from Milla Love’s Etsy Shop. They’re available in 15 different colors, so you’re sure to find one–or several–for the theme you have in mind.
3. Homemade pom poms ($20)are pretty yet practical, and these from My Silly Bear come already strung. Hang one or two across the room and voila! Bonus: She’ll make your garland in any color scheme with advance notice.
4. Instead of draping “It’s a Boy!” banners around the room, try this reusable festive bunting ($22) that works for any party instead. It’s universal, yet whimsical at the same time.
5. Paper napkins make for easy clean up, but they’re expensive and hard on the environment. For a more lasting linen, Crate and Barrel has these bright colored napkin sets ($20 for 12) that are the only pop of color you need if you use plain white china (Or paper plates..we understand.)
Get more baby shower essentials in our buying guides.