When I was little, I used to collect cheap plastic snakes from toy stores. Why? Because my father, caught in a classic male phobia, was terrified of snakes. And, as the kind of daughter who made them wonder why they didn't just get another poodle instead of having children, I would hide rubber snakes in his favorite chair. And briefcase. And shoes. And sometimes throw them at him from the top of the stairs while he was sleeping. My poor father now has high blood pressure.
Nowadays I collect snakes in jewelry form. And I do it for a different reason. Worn smartly, snake jewelry evokes the image of a beautiful, romance-ravaged Cleopatra as well as the classic, biblical tale of temptation. With such forbidden fruit attached to its image, the graceful shape of the serpent is dangerously fashionable.
1. 28K Gold Ruby Snake Earrings by Juliana Eshaya ($240): These snakes are more adorable than threatening. However, as you flirt and toss your locks throughout the night, they'll expose some subtle shine and sex appeal.
2. Antica Murrina Veneziana Santiago necklace($59): Utilizing the oft overlooked organic loveliness of murano glass, this reasonably priced snake pendant is not to be overlooked.
3. Elizabeth Cole Snake Ring ($350): Elizabeth Cole is one of my very favorite new jewelry designers. Her pieces are always large in scale and absolute attention grabbers. Cole's ability to capture vintage charm and her eclectic influences guarantee that her pieces are truly original….even if they're featuring history's first villian.
4. Roberto Cavalli Snake Bracelet ($350): These bracelets are little simpler than Kenneth Jay Lane's designs and are definitely more conservative on the bling factor, But in terms of style, they stand (or slither) all on their own.
5. Boucheron Fantasy Ring ($2180): Boucheron's snake collection includes bracelets, earrings, and a breathtaking double ring. Although high priced, it is, in my opinion, the sleekest, richest, and most tasteful serpent rendering available. This is the kind of piece that lends itself to heirloom status.
6. Vermeil Ruby-Eyed Snake Charm Necklace by Jessica Elliot ($155): This little serpent is on my gifting list for the upcoming holidays. Delicate and feminine, its appeal is nearly universal.
Looking for more great jewelry buys? Check out our guide to accessories that can disguise chunky wrists, length stubby fingers, and more.