You might not think that shopping in the summer is any different from shopping during any other time of the year. But when putting together the perfect summer wardrobe, there are some important tips to keep in mind. The sweltering heat can cause unexpected problems (pit stains, chaffing, etc). The following tricks will help you save money and make the most out of your summer clothing.
1. Size up when buying shoes: Feet swell in the summer, so when shopping for shoes, you should buy a half-size or a full-size larger than you normally would. If you are buying shoes made from man-made materials, like faux leather and plastic, go a full size up. Shoes made out of natural materials like leather, canvas and suede will stretch, so you only need to go up half a size. [StyleCaster]
2. Take care of your frames: Heat can warp the frames of your glasses. If you are going to be in the sun all day, opt for contacts. And don’t wear your sunglasses on top of your head on a hot day–this can stretch them out. Glasses and sunglasses should always be stored in a hard case while they are in your bag to keep their shape in tact.
3. Pay attention to fabrics: Trying to build the perfect summer wardrobe? Take the time to examine the materials of each garment. We all love Forever 21, but clothing from inexpensive stores is often made from poly-blends that aren’t breathable. These fabrcis will hold on to sweat stains (ew). If you want to stay cool on hot days, stick to materials like cotton. The fibers absorb perspiration and release it quickly. Another good fabric to shop for is linen, which is stronger than cotton and very breathable. Silk is also a good choice because it’s natural and cooling, but it does need to be cleaned often if you sweat. [StyleCaster]
4. Don’t be afraid to get creative: Summer is the time for you to get creative with your wardrobe. Before you go shopping, evaluate what’s already in your closet: Can an old pair of jeans be cut into a pair of new shorts? What about wearing a maxi skirt as a dress, like fashion blogger Extra Petitie? You can also mix unexpected prints and layer light pieces.
5. Keep your makeup products from melting: If you are walking around in the summer heat, the makeup products in you purse can easily melt. Not only is this messy, but it can ruin your favorite makeup and cost you money. StyleCaster suggests freezing a Zip-Loc freezer bag overnight. Before you leave for the day, throw the makeup products you usually take with you into the frozen bag. This will keep your products cool while you commute. [StyleCaster]
6. Prevent sweat stains: Sweating during the summer is inevitable. If one of your favorite shirts is prone to sweat stains, try spraying it with lemon juice before washing it. The natural acid will dissolve alkaline sweat residue that coud cause discoloration. If you get deodorant on your clothing, there’s tons of quick fixes, like rubbing a dryer sheet or pantyhose over the stain. [StylerCaster]