Hair care isn’t an exact science. What works for one doesn’t work for all, and what worked for you before could suddenly stop. Depending on the season, you may even have to completely switch up you hair care routine from day to day (yeah winter, we’re looking at you!).
As unpredictable as your hair may sometimes feel, however, there are a few universal no-nos that every woman should avoid when caring for her strands. Stop committing these 4 hair care mistakes and your locks will look luscious in no time.
1. Shampooing too much. If you’re wondering why you hair is super dry in between washes, you may be lathering your hair up more than you need to. Shampooing your hair is great for ridding it of dirt and product buildup, but it also strips your hair of healthy oils that keep it soft and shiny. If you notice your hair becoming brittle, try cutting back on how often you wash.
2. Skimping on conditioner. If you find yourself tempted to skip using conditioner because you’re pressed for time, don’t! No woman–no matter her hair type–can afford to skip this crucial step. Condition not only helps to fight frizz, but it also combats damage, moisturizes your strands and nourishes your hair follicles. Conditioner is absolutely essential to keeping hair healthy.
3. Using cotton towels. Wonder why your hair is frizzy after drying it with a regular bath towel? One reason may be that your cotton towels are causing too much friction, leaving you with split ends and brittle hair. To avoid damaging after you’ve washed and conditioned it, invest in a quality towel that’s specifically made for drying your hair. The Lisse Luxe Hair Towel ($30) from AQUIS is made with AQUITEX technology, a specially engineered microfiber that’s more silk-like and absorbent. The result? Your hair dries faster and looks more more vibrant.
4. Forgetting to detangle. Gently combing through your stands is super important to avoid pesky knots and tangles. The best tool for the job? A wide tooth comb!
5. Blow-drying too often. Blow dryers are probably the number one cause of hair stress. While they may be the fastest tool to dry your tresses, they can also cause severe heat damage, especially when used too often or on the wrong heat setting. If you notice your hair becoming brittle or lacking luster, consider taking a break from heat styling.
The editors at SheFinds wrote this post on behalf of AQUIS Hair and received compensation as part of our agreement.