This past Fashion Week we had the privilege of meeting Katie Hughes, Global Colour Ambassador for butter LONDON. Not only is she amazing, but so are her nails (obviously). We immediately fell in love with her outline nails and have seen them all over the place since then. So we convinced Katie to dish out steps for outline nails for SHEfinds (aka something to try while you’re at home on Thanksgiving!).
Re-create the look now with Kate Hughes’ simple steps:
1. Ace of Base: Use a base coat to provide a smooth surface for your color and protect your nails from any stains. Katie recommends using the butter LONDON Flawless Base Coat ($18) – “it’s like a BB cream for your nails,” she says.
2. Polish Away: Once your base coat has dried, paint two coats of your chosen color. (Katie used butter London Yummy Mummy Polish ($14) in the above image).
3. Brush Up: With a long, thin nail art brush, dip the brush into the shade you’ve chosen for the outline. Make sure there isn’t too much lacquer on the brush – if it’s too heavy the brush with bend. (Katie used butter London Union Jack Black Polish ($14) in the image above).
4. Two-Step: “I paint the outline in two sections,” relays Katie. First, place the point of your brush on the middle of the nail, right under the cuticle, and bring it down and around in a “C” shape. Repeat on the other side of the nail.
5. Take Ten: Wait ten minutes and then apply a top coat. Katie recommends using butter LONDON Hardwear P.D. Quick Top Coat ($18).
INSIDER TIP: Keep the brush as close to the skin as possible for the best effect. If it gets on the skin you can just clean up with an old lip brush dipped in polish remover.
Ready for some holiday shopping? Check out our annual Going, Going, Gone! gift guide, and the best under-$50 gifts for him, her and home — just in time for you to start holiday shopping (because it’s that time again!).
[Photo credit: Katie Hughes of butter LONDON]