There is a small part of me, (the part that swoons over the opulent windows into the world of all things fabulous, overpriced and designer on Madison Avenue), that wishes we lived during the decades when people dressed to impress on a daily basis. It is just something about those old photos of my grandmother looking like Jackie Kennedy that makes my inner fashion sense cringe at how I left the apartment yesterday: in a pair of rolled up lacrosse shorts with my hair messily tied and slightly askew on top of my head.
Unfortunately, we live in a different time… the time of “business casual” and dressed-down Fridays where blue jeans are becoming increasingly commonplace, (something that me and my thoughts of grandeur are just going to have to get used to). So, if company policy is relaxed, and you just have to wear jeans to work, here’s how to do it:
1. Make sure the denim looks clean… no rips, frays or stone washes.
2. They should have an appropriate fit, not too baggy, but not skin tight.
3. Be smart about the color, save those trendy bright colored jeans for the weekend and stick to slightly darker shades.
4. Finally, the rest of your outfit should be much more formal: dressy shoes, nice accessories, even a suit blazer can really sharpen up your look.
5. If you can't remember all of that, just check out our picks below, which are all stylish and safe bets.
But come on now ladies, if you work in a really nice office — as Al Pacino said to Johnny Depp in the mob classic Donnie Brasco — “Get yourself a pair of pants, this ain’t no rodeo."
What do you think? Do you just count the minutes until it's Friday when you can throw on your favorite pair of denim, or do you think jeans in the work scene is inappropriate? Leave a comment and let us know if you agree that denim should stay OUT of the workplace.