Unless you’re living considerably closer to the equator than we are (lucky girl), chances are not only has your summer tan long-faded, but your skin has assumed an undesirable shade of what we can only refer to as “January Pale.” When it’s this frigid out, we often don’t even think about our skin color–we’re too busy planning our multiple layers of sweaters and undergarments. What we often forget, is that a sun-kissed complexion can sometimes give even the bulkiest and most wintry of outfits a glorious glow.
Our secret to avoiding ghost-face in January? Self tanner, of course. We’ll share our six easy steps for application below–and don’t forget to check out our favorites in the slideshow!
1. Pull hair away from your face in a tight ponytail or bun–to have access to your hairline and keep stray hairs out of your face.
2. Exfoliate--this will make your fake bake last days longer.
3. Work self-tanner gently around your face, concentrating on areas the sun naturally hits–the forehead, the bridge of your nose, and your cheekbones. Continue to apply to your neck, ears, jawline, shoulders, and upper arms, so that your head doesn’t look a different color than your body.
4. Wash hands thoroughly–especially the inside of your wrist and between your fingers, to avoid any staining.
5. Whenever possible, wait at least 15 minutes until getting dressed.
6. Once your self tanner is dry, moisturize often. This will help maintain color and avoid flaking!