What: Five copies of Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Home: No-Nonsense Advice That Will Inspire You to Clean Like the Dickens , Thelma Meyer’s practical, tip-filled guide to keeping your house in order. She’s the namesake behind Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Home Products, so she knows a thing or two about a spotless countertop.
Why: Because really, we (and we figure, probably you too) should know how to clean things better.
How: Leave a comment below with your no-fail cleaning tip – for clothes, dishes, furniture, whatever – and we’ll enter you for a chance to win.
And just in case you’re desperate, Mrs. Meyer has shared five of her most helpful tips with us below. Read ‘em, and tell us your own for a chance to win.
1. Washing a burned pot:
Fill the pot with equal parts water and vinegar, add some salt, heat the mixture over a medium flame until the vinegar boils, and then remove the pot from the heat and let it soak overnight.
2. Getting hairspray and toothpaste off a mirror:
Pour rubbing alcohol on a cloth and clean in small circles. You can also use a baby wipe, if you have one of those handy. Then grab your club-soda spray bottle and give the mirror a spritz, wiping it clean with some bunched-up newspaper.
3. Cleaning up broken glass:
If a mirror falls on a tile floor, you may get seven years of bad luck – and you’ll definitely get little shards all over the place. To make sure you remove all those pieces, dab a piece of bread on top of them. (Yes, white bread will grab some of those small, sharp pieces.) Vacuum, then wipe down the floor with a water-dampened cloth. Be very careful when you wring it out.
4. Taking pet hair off upholstery:
Put on a pair of rubber gloves, pass your hands quickly under the faucet, and wipe down the upholstery in long strokes. And don’t forget to tackle the source: Brush Fido and Fluffy regularly to remove any excess hair before it makes its way onto your favorite love seat.
5. Loosening a stuck drawer:
Nothing’s more frustrating than trying to open a dresser drawer that just won’t budge. So rub a candle – or a bar of soap – on the top, bottom, and sides of the drawer. That will loosen it up in no time.
After you enter, don’t forget to stop by MomFinds for a chance at this week’s Win it Wedneday prize.
1. Post a comment about no-fail cleaning tip.
2. You must supply us with a valid email address and sign up for the SheFinds newsletter.
3. The contest starts now and entries must be date stamped by our server no later than Friday, May 8th, 2009 at 11:59 AM Eastern Time to be eligible.
4. Five winners will be selected during a random drawing and will be announced in the May 12th SheFinds newsletter. The winner must reply via email as instructed in the newsletter to claim the prize.
5. No prize substitutions.
6. You must be 18 years old or older to enter and a resident of the USA.
7. No purchase necessary.
8. Void where prohibited.
9. Click here for the full rules.