Feel like going green will force you to lose your chic factor? Do you want to live an eco-friendly lifestyle but think you'll turn into a granola-loving, Birkenstock-wearing, knapsack-toting planet lover in the process? Not so! Style expert and author Christie Matheson guides us step by step towards a more eco-chic lifestyle in her book, Green Chic: Saving The Earth In Style. Christie's work has appeared in Glamour, Shape, Yoga Journal, and The Boston Globe Magazine among other publications. With tips on how to travel consciously and stylishly to how to fill your wardrobe and your home with trendy organic goods, Christie dispels the myth that going green and staying fashion forward can't go hand in hand. And now Christie is imparting her know-how on SheFinds. Below are her top 5 ways to green your beauty routine. And we are giving away copies of Christie's book to 5 lucky readers. In order to be considered, you have to write to us in the comments section and share with us your favorite eco-friendly beauty product. The winners will receive a copy of Green Chic: Saving The Earth In Style.
1. Exfoliate: Gently slough off pore-clogging gunk with Farmaesthetics’ Sweet Milk and Lavender Exfoliate ($14.70). It’s made with nothing but dried powdered milk, fine yellow cornmeal, and ground organic lavender buds, and it comes in a beautiful recycled glass bottle.
2. Cleanse: Get rid of the impurities your skin encounters throughout the day with the Egyptian Calendula and Blood Orange Cleanser from Pangea Organics ($23) . This effective yet gentle organic cleanser works for all skin types and is free of preservatives, petrochemicals, and parabens.
3. Moisturize: Keep skin hydrated—and protected from the sun—with Juice Beauty’s Green Apple SPF 15 moisturizer ($38). Hydroxy acids from organic apple and lemon juices brighten the skin; the sun protection comes from titanium dioxide, one of the healthier sun-blocking ingredients.
4. Sleep: Making time for enough sleep may be the most important thing you can do to look great. During sleep your cells repair themselves, so your skin improves. Adequate sleep also helps you maintain a healthy weight. Rest in pesticide-free luxury: Try the elegant organic cotton sheets from Loop Organic ($20 per pillowcase; $160 for queen sheet set).
5. Pamper: Also key for reducing stress—and thereby improving your appearance—is adequate pampering. Come on, you deserve it! Treat yourself to a Fusion Massage from Exhale ($115) or your favorite local sustainability-minded spa.
To learn more about going green in style, go to amazon.com to buy Christie's book. Or..
Win a copy of the book from SheFinds!
We are giving away copies to 5 lucky readers. In order to be considered, you have to write to us in the comments section and share with us your favorite eco-friendly beauty product.
And check out the Top 5's from our other experts: Nadine Haobsh, author of Beauty Confidential, Kat James, author of The Truth About Beauty, Nada Manley, author of Secrets of the Beauty Insiders, Charla Krupp, author of Hot Not to Look Old, and Bridgette Raes, author of Style Rx.