Here's How You're Celebrating National Watermelon Day: Watermelon Sangria
August 3, 2016
Happy National Watermelon Day, everyone! We have the perfect way to celebrate the fruit of summer: a cocktail! And no, it’s not making a vodka-infused watermelon (I’ve tried it, and it’s harder than it looks). We have something easier and yummier – Watermelon Sangria!
We’re combining the two things that literally scream summer – watermelon and sangria. Personally, we don’t think it can get any better! Here’s how to make your perfect summer cocktail to honor this fruit on its big day:
Ingredients: 4 cups of cubed, seedless watermelon, 1.5 cups of white wine, 1 oz. Anejo rum, 2 oz Cointreau, 2 oz simple syrup, 2 limes, ice.
1) Make 2 oz of simple syrup: pour equal parts water and sugar into a saucepan, and heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves in the water. Once the edges start to simmer, and the mixture is clear, immediately remove it from the heat.
2) Purée fresh, seedless watermelon in a blender. Then strain it into a large pitcher.
3) Add the simple syrup, wine, rum, and Cointreau to the pitcher and stir.
4) Juice 1 lime and add it to the pitcher.
5) Cut the other lime into thin slices to add into the pitcher.
6) Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
7) Serve over an ice-filled glass.
And if you’re feeling fancy… garnish with a small cube of watermelon and a fresh mint sprig!
Check the official recipe here.