Choosing the items you want in your first home together can be tons of fun, but it can also be a test of wills if you discover just how different your tastes truly are. Before you wind up tossing your engagement ring at your fiancé in the fine china section, read these tips for creating a registry while keeping the peace.
1. Research beforehand. Before you go in person to set up the registry, take a look at different stores’ websites to get a feel for what each one offers and if you’ll be able to find items you’ll both like. This way, you don’t waste your time and risk having a public argument.
2. Figure out what you really need. Look at what you and your fiancé already have, what items you would like to replace or upgrade and what you need. This will make putting together the registry less daunting since you might actually need less than you thought.
3. Don’t try to do it all at one time. If you’re starting from square one with your registry, you can’t expect to get it all done in one afternoon or evening. This will just add to the stress and increase the odds of one or both of you losing it. Instead, set up your registry in stages: the kitchen could be stage one; bathroom and bedroom is stage two; and entertaining (fine china, glasses, etc.) will be stage three.
4. Make it fun. You can turn setting your registry up as a date night. Go out for a nice dinner before or after. If it’s before, just make sure you don’t drink too much! You don’t want to RUI (register under the influence).
5. Keep it simple. Unless you’re sure the house you live in is your forever home, you’ll want to stick with neutral and classic pieces. This will help you narrow down your registry items and make the process easier to complete.
6. Learn to compromise. You have the china pattern of your dreams picked out, but your fiancé hates it. Find a third option the both of you like. Or if he lets you have your china, he gets to pick out the glasses on his own. This is good practice for when you’re actually married and compromise is a daily part of your life!