The top knot had a good run as the “cool-girl hairstyle on Pinterest,” but now it’s all about the half bun. Fashion bloggers and celebrities alike (ahem, Margot Robbie) have been spotted wearing this look. There’s just something about the half bun that is effortlessly cool, or as so accurately put by the ladies of Man Repeller, “It says, I forgot to shower again, but only the top part of my hair is gross. The bottom part is still killing it though, so I’m gonna let it do its thing.”
I’ve been trying to recreate this look and finally figured it out (with the help of Nasty Gal!). Here’s how to do the half bun:
1) Gather 1/4 of your hair from the top of your head.
2) Pull the top section up as high as you want your bun to be.
3) Start making a bun.
4) Tie the bun using a hair tie.
5) Secure the bun with bobby pins so it stays in place. Up to you how many it takes to hold the bun, but 1-3 should be good.
6) Spray a small amount of hairspray.
7) Use your fingers to loosen up the front and sides for a messier look.
Got a different way to do it? Let us know in the comments below!
[Photo: Peace Love Shea]