How To Elope Without Starting WWIII: 5 Tips For A Drama-Free City Hall Wedding
April 10, 2012
Many couples choose to elope early on, and opt out of the whole wedding hubbub from the get-go. Other couples elope amidst budgetary issues, family drama or just plain exasperation with the planning process. And some just do it for fun!
Whether you’re feeling fatigued by planning, or just want to save money, there are many realistic reasons for eloping. But there is also the risk of making your family hate you forever. (Just kidding. Sort of). We can sympathize! But before you decide to duck down to the courthouse, consider these tips for a smooth, family-friendly elopement:
1. Be considerate of other’s investments – i.e. don’t elope if your parents have already sunk a few grand into this shindig, unless you can pay them back quickly, or somehow recoup the cash. If it’s only your own money at stake, no biggie.
2. Don’t elope mid-argument – if you’re feuding with your fam about anything wedding-related, don’t elope out of spite. That could result in years of strained relationships and thousands of dollars in therapy, on both sides. Wait until the bad blood has boiled down and you can calmly, rationally explain yourselves without offending everyone.
3. Hire a photographer – the sting of missing your wedding will be softened by a few gorgeous wedding day pics. Hire a photog to follow you around for an hour or two – don’t just rely on a disposable camera to document your big day.
4. Bring the fam! If you really want them to be there – let them know what’s up! Many hotels and cruise ships have elopement packages that can accommodate a small party. You’ll want to invite a few bffs too, to neutralize any family drama.
5. Elope within the first 3 months of your engagement – things will go a lot smoother if people haven’t yet had time to invest a lot of emotional effort into your wedding. Be sure to send out wedding announcements after you elope – so your family and friends feel loved, included, and in-the-know!
If you find it insanely tempting, but you just can’t come around to the idea of eloping, be sure to check out this post on how to cut corners (and save beaucoup bucks) on wedding everything!
Don’t forget to shop our guides for the best short wedding dresses, inexpensive wedding shoes, and bridal hair accessories – everything you need to complete your elopement ensemble!
[Image: A Cup Of Jo]