There’s a good chance you’ve been using mascara since you were a teenager and yet, you still manage to royally mess up the application every once in a while. Despite practicing every day, many women are left having to dream up creative ways of removing mascara that has smudged on the eyelid which, of course, only ruins your eyeshadow and adds minutes you don’t have to your morning routine.
The best way to avoid smudges is by preventing them and the makeup pros over at Makeup Geek have5 fail-proof mascara application tips that will help you keep your mascara where it belongs–on your lashes, not your eyelid.
1. Choose your mascara wisely. Select a mascara formula that is known for delivering a clump-free experience and make sure it isn’t expired (which only adds clumps). Note that your mascara needn’t cost a small fortune–classic products like L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Mascara and Maybelline Great Lash Mascara are favorites among makeup artists.
2. Scrape off any excess mascara. When you pull out your wand, always scrape off excess mascara so that the formula doesn’t clump and lessens your chances of transferring makeup to your lid.
3. Look ahead. The way you position your mirror and face directly impacts whether your mascara application is a disaster or success. Make sure you’re looking straight ahead and start off with your wand at the base of your lashes. Wiggle the wand side to side and sweep up. Continue to apply coats until you get your desired volume.
4. Tilt forward for bottom lashes. In order to avoid getting mascara on your cheek, tilt your head forward a bit when you apply mascara to the bottom lash row and wiggle the brush side to side.
5. Use a post-it note. Not confident that you have a steady enough hand to keep mascara from smudging? Grab yellow post-it notes and place one below your bottom lashes and one above your top lashes to ensure any excess mascara is captured on the paper.
Check out Makeup Geek’s makeup tutorial to see how easy mascara application can be!
For more beauty tips and advice check out what your eyebrow shape says about you and how to remove even the most stubborn mascara in under a minute.