UPDATE, 3/31/11: OohILove Is Bankrupt
Did you know you can actually get a pair of Tory Burch Reva flats for around $5.25? A new shopping auction site, ScoreLuxe has changed the name of the luxury auction game, and we’re hooked. Master the game and you can get a real $900 handbag for a few bucks.
Here’s how to start:
Just like being at a casino and buying your chips, buy a package of bids starting at $27.90. Each bid you make is worth $.99, and items start around $.50 or less. Unlike Ebay, you can’t raise the price manually–the price is raised 2 cents with each bid. As a special promotion for SheFinds and former competitior site, OohILove’s members, get 10% off with code OOHILOVE at ScoreLuxe.
1. Don’t bid early. There’s no point in bidding on something days or hours in advance. All the real bidding happens seconds before the auction ends. If you bid in the last 10 seconds, the timer goes back 30 seconds until someone gives up.
2. Bid on auctions that end at weird times while other people are busy, like dinnertime, or early in the morning.
3. Set up a ‘Bid Assistant’ through the site. It (literally) does your bidding for you. Set your maximum price to a non-round number, like $4.81. Others are likely to go for round numbers so you’ll have the advantage.
4. Spy on your fellow bidders. If you click on the photo of the product during the auction, you can see who is bidding and when to help you strategize your next bid. If you see one person is consistently bidding manually, you can hang back and let them bid for awhile. Try and predict what others will do by looking at their bidding history.
5. Follow ScoreLuxe on Twitter for discounts and get coupon codes.
See more of our OohILove coverage, check out today’s online sample sales, and see Portero’s amazing previously owned Chanel sale, starting at $100. See if buying luxury is worth it in our Fashion Math equations.