From their tweenage-chic look in Passport to Paris, to their popularization of the Starbucks cup as an accessory, to their gorgeous fashion labels, “Elizabeth and James” and “The Row,” Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen have been trendsetters since birth. I still remember regularly scouring their favorite stores for the same capris they wore in Two of a Kind, or following their black Range Rover upon recognizing the prayer beads hanging from the rear view mirror, or dressing up with my best friend for our very own “MKA Day,” where we went to their favorite restaurant (we ordered edamame because that’s all we could afford).
Needless to say, the Mary Kate and Ashley have influenced my personal style throughout all stages of my life. And while I no longer spend hours scouring LiveJournal communities devoted to MKA’s street style, I can still say I look forward to seeing what creative ensembles (and now, designs) they still come up with. In honor of their 25th birthday today, I’ve chosen their top 6 most iconic trends:
1. Bows (Circa 1986 – 1990, Full House era)
2. Big, Bohemian Earrings (Circa 2004- 2006, New York Minute Era)
3. Oversized Sunglasses (Circa 2005- present)
4. Oversized Tees (+optional Starbucks Venti Sugar-Free Vanilla Latté)
5. Maxi Dresses & Maxi Skirts (Circa 2006 – present)
6. Substantial, Structured Handbags (like the ones from their own line, The Row, above at left)
See our favorite products (many of the the Olsens’ own Elizabeth and James brand) of these six trends from Shopbop below:
Follow the author of this post on Twitter @shefindschar.