Here in the South, the while-gloved influence of the Southern Belle and the deb reign supreme on the city's fashion choices. Dresses are mandatory and, if possible, should emphasize the delicacy and femininity of the wearer. Because down here we are ladies first, y'all. (And although I was never a debutante, I do say y'all. It is a very functional word.)
So, in honor of fellow Southerners, I have selected some dresses that will let y'all party it up like it's your second introduction into society. Instead of practicing your curtsies, practice fending off innuendos from handsome, celebratory rogues. And carpetbaggers.
1. This Alice & Olivia gunmetal sequin pencil dress ($495) highlights your desire to party like it's 1999 without compromising your reputation. Classy and urbane, pair it with strappy black heels and a black clutch to ring in a fashionable 2008.
2. The ruffles of this Nieves Lavi dress ($430) provide a sophisticated and yet ethereal quality to your New Year's Eve frock. They will also disguise any unsightly lumps and bumps, which means you can indulge in the bubbly and mini-quiches without having to rely on your Spanx. And what belle doesn't gravitate towards a well-placed ruffle?
3. Although we reside in Anna Nicole Smith's home region, there is no need for girls of less than ample bust to go under the knife. This Alice & Olivia ruffled halter dress ($398) will ehance any bust to create a curvier silohuette without surgical intervention. And the rich jewel tone of the blue will compliment just about any complexion. That means you'll look buxom and glowing in even the most not sober New Year's photos.
4. Legions of debutantes will be heading to Atlanta's high-end boutique, Blue Genes, in search of a fancy frock. Beat them to the punch by ordering your Catherine Malandrino lace number ($516) early. Graceful and Angelic, this creamy concoction will be sure to make you the belle of the New Year ball.
5. Should you not want to begin 2008 with a hefty credit card bill from 2007, look to this Kate Moss for Topshop dress for some budget friendly style. Tasteful and sophisticated, this dress won't be going out of style anytime soon. So, you might be able to break it out for Valentine's Day dinner…especially if the frock's outlasted your NYE date.