Runway Recap: Avant-Grrrrrr......
January 18, 2008
Here's the latest Runway Recap from SheFinds reader Casey:
Wednesday's show had much promise (unlike previous let-downs) – let the designers go completely nuts and create an avant-garde piece based on weird hairstyles the models were sporting. As Tim said, it did not need to be commercial and didn't even need to be wearable! Art for art's sake alone. This was going to be good. But then came twist after twist – it will be another team challenge (Dear Heidi, we HATE the team challenges!), and one day into production they're told they have to make a ready-to-wear outfit embodying the essence of the avant-garde piece.
With this group, there is nothing but odd couples: Rami & Sweet P, Victorya & Jillian, Chris & Christian, and Kit & Ricky. What's interesting is how the designers are inhabiting characters we've seen before:
– Rami is becoming Santino. Not only did he show his nasty, controlling side, he is also drawn to over-embellishment and braiding.
– Christian is this year's Austin Scarlett. He's flamboyant and quirky, and we can't make up our minds whether we like him.
– Chris reminds us of Kayne with his out-there, fanciful design style and ever-cheerful demeanor (we are also glad he's stopped crying!).
Back to this week's designs…
We LOVED Jillian and Victorya's punk rock trench coat. I never would have expected them to meld their design styles so well. I was worried about the pants, as they looked too exaggerated when they were under construction, but all in all, it was a great ensemble. Their ready-to-wear version was, well, perfectly ready to wear.
Rami was mean mean mean to Sweet P, and the avant-garde design was bad bad bad. Flowing, over-accessorized Greek style dress over pants? What? The model looked like she fell down in Mood while covered in glue and walked in covered in random fabric and trinkets. The ready-to-wear piece, which was all Sweet P, was aces. We loved it. However one out of two doesn't get you in the top score group.
Chris and Christian were a very happy and agreeable pair with complementary visions. They created an extraordinary piece with a huge Victorian-esque collar that almost defies description – which makes it perfect for this challenge. Their ready-to-wear piece was just plain boring though. Perhaps these two can only think outside the box?
Kit and Ricky translated their model's hair as bird's-nesty and designed around that. I actually thought their dress was pretty cool, but it was clearly not avant-garde and not bird's-nesty. I would have liked to see that interpreted more literally (which I do think was their initial intent). If not for the hoop skirt, it would have been wearable in the real world – exactly what this creation was not supposed to be. Their ready-to-wear dress was cute but looked very cheap and was one of the least flattering dresses I have seen in a while.
1. Victorya and Jillian to win – they hit both the avant-garde and ready-to-wear pieces out of the park.
2. Rami to go home not just because he was mean and controlling, but because his avant-garde piece was terrible.
1. Chris and Christian took home the win.
2. Kit was sent home instead of Rami.