We know, we know, sex sells. It seems that's especially true with cosmetics, and for good reason: the very purpose of makeup is to enhance our features, with the ultimate goal being to attract a mate. And whether or not we're acutely aware of the evolutionary implications of cosmetics, the bottom line is this: amping up what nature gave us makes us feel sexy.
Marketers and cosmetics gurus are embracing this and coming out with racier and more scandalous names for their products. Whether they aim to stand out in a sea of color-cued monikers, or they're just going for shock value, some beauty products can make us blush — naturally — just by reading their names. Take for example:
1. NARS The Multiple in Orgasm ($36.50). This all-over shimmer stick re-creates that inner glow that can be naturally obtained with a marathon sack session.
2. Plump Your Pucker lip gloss in Bing My Cherry ($14). Cop a killer pout, ripe for the kissing, with this maraschino-red plumper.
3. Playboy Beauty's Mile High Mascara ($16.50). We knew airplane bathrooms were the best places to tweeze our eyebrows; who knew they were ideal lash lengthening locales, too?
5. Booty Parlor Sex Bombs ($45). This threesome features Don't Stop solid perfume (packed with pheromones, natch), Get Flushed cheek and lip tint, and Dust Up body shimmer that smells and tastes like bubbly champagne.
6. Too Faced Cosmetics eye shadow duo in Full Frontal ($17). What about this duet of deep chocolate brown and sexy spiced orange shadow shades screams unabashed nudity? What doesn't?
7. BeneFit Thrrrob ($28). This "turned on" face powder mimics "the natural flush you get when your heart races."
8. Demeter Pick Me Up Spray in Between the Sheets ($20). Sometimes a fruity, drink-inspired fragrance is all you need to wear to bed.
9. The Balm Shady Lady eye shadow in Kinky Katie ($15). Acid yellow and super-shimmery, this shadow is as daring as its experimental namesake. Some of Katie's companion shades include Just This Once Jamie and Caught in the Act Courtney.
10. Lippmann Collection nail lacquer in Makin' Whoopee ($15). Tee hee if you will, but what's next? A polish simply called Having Sex?
Dishonorable mention: Urban Decay has their fair share of risqué beauty loot (e.g. their Afterglow bronzer in Fetish, $17), but they really push the envelope with drug-referenced products. Color names include Roach, Blow, Blunt, Toasted, Loaded, Baked, Mary Jane, Yeyo, X, and the obvious Narcotic. For a line geared toward younger girls, we think this is a big no-no.
What do you think? Do scandalous color names make you perk up and take notice, or are they a tacky ploy to get your coveted cosmetic dollars? Does wearing slightly NSFW makeup make you feel oh-so-sexy, or do you break out in a fit of the giggles whenever someone asks what color you're wearing? Let us know what you think in the comments.
P.S. Feeling all hot and bothered after reading this post? Check out our guide to other sexy bedroom booty you may want to stock up on.