What To Wear For New Year's Eve: Chicago
December 17, 2007
If you're going to brave the Lake Effect chill in Chicago this New Year's Eve, you're going to need to stock up on cold weather essentials to help you arrive at your final destination in the same stunning shape in which you left the house. While this may mean toting your adorable slingbacks to save them from the slush and salt, don't worry about having to hit the party scene in sweatpants. Whether you're sashaying to the chichi Chicago clubs or heading to an intimate gathering with friends, you need a set of stylish "get there gear" to keep you toasty en route. Make it look like your trek was warm and pleasant when you shed all those layers and unveil your real New Year's garb.
1. Start out by thinking on—and of—your feet. Nine West's Yogini rubber Wellington boots ($59) are cheeky and have a slightly edgy patent leather look to them. They'll protect your tootsies from freezer burn and will help you keep traction on slippery sidewalks much better than your sexy party shoes.
2. While you're thinking about protecting your digits from temps in the negative digits, consider picking up a pair of long, sleek black leather gloves from Banana Republic ($128). The long length makes them a little dressier than your everyday gloves, and the black leather is timeless and so chic.
3. A festive night calls for festive outerwear, and Armani Exchange's sequined black scarf ($68) provides just enough sparkle for your journey. It's not over-the-top (you don't want to look like the famous Times Square New Year's ball), but it's got that extra gleam to ring in a sparkling new year.
4. Since you don't want to arrive at your New Year's festivities with painful, red ears or mussed hair, sophisticated fox fur earmuffs from Michael Kors ($22) are a must. Go ahead and spend time on your updo, knowing it won't get crushed by an unwieldy hat (though the wild wind is another story.)
5. If you're going to be spending any time out of doors, you'll have to adjust your beauty regimen to make it in the Windy City. Always carry a tube of soothing Burts Bees lip shimmer ($4); it's the same formula as their healing beeswax lip balm, but with a hint of color and a little pearly shimmer–perfect for a party. And don't leave home without Dr. Hauschka's miraculous hand cream ($23). It's a must-apply every time you come in from the nippy air. Finally stash all your New Year's beauty loot in the lovely Cora bag ($110) from Chicago bag designers 1154 Lill Studio. Its Victorian-style flocking and delicate gold chain are gorgeous, and it's the perfect size for all your essentials.