If you’re anything like me, cleaning out your closet simply means deciding what to keep and what to toss. It does nothing to remedy the fact that there’s no rhyme or reason to where clothes are hung or the fact that I need a vice to pull some things out. Thanks to a good friend, Mary of SOS MARY Organization + Design, I now have a solution: 5 (relatively) easy steps for whipping my closet into shape. You can use them, too.
1. Get your equipment. Mary recommends 10” plastic swivel head hangers because they’re great for hanging a variety of garment. Other essentials include "Z" hangers for pants, hooks over and to the left and right of the door for hanging belts, shoe bags, etc, and some sort of purse storage.
2. Group your closet. Whether you choose to organize by color or season, there should be some order to where things are placed. I plan on doing my closet by type and then by length, so all short skirts together, longer skirts together, short-sleeve blouses together, long-sleeve blouses together, etc.
3. Be creative. Mary suggests making places where you don’t have to fold things. She had the genius idea of investing in one of these tall $20 spice racks – they’re great for bras, panties, sports bras, hankies, etc. She also likes these over-the-door organizers that would work in coat closets for mittens, scarves, tissue packets, etc.
4. Invest in a system. We’re talking a shelving system here and Mary makes sure to specify it should be adjustable like this one from the Container Store. And when installing the shelves, she says, "Always have double hanging. This increases your accessible/reachable/visible/useable space phenomenally."
5. Handle your handbags. You have two options here. If there’s an empty wall in your home you don’t mind giving over to your handbags, use these hooks to hang the purses scattered across the wall. "Makes it look like a designer showroom," Mary says. Or, you can try these purse racks, which in practice actually look wonderful on the back of the door with 8+/- large purses.
So there you have it. Use this week to get everything you’ll need so by the time the weekend arrives you’ll be all set to organize your closet. I can just feel you bubbling over with anticipation… But really, just think how much better getting dressed in the morning will be if you have a closet that looks like this!