Haven’t started your back to school shopping? Many parents put off back-to-school shopping because it’s expensive–not to mention time consuming! American parents spend more than $21 billion each year on back-to-school shopping for kids from kindergarten through 12th grade. Save more money this year by shopping online. Here are some back to school shopping tips to help stretch your buck:
1. Get organized. Make a list of who you need to buy for on an organizing site like rememberthemilk.com and check-off when you score something for them. This will help you focus on the items you really need and will help better manage your time.
2. Sign up for price alerts. Sites exist where you can sign-up to be notified when an item is marked down. For example, PricePinx bookmarklet on your browser’s toolbar will send you an e-mail alert when selected items drop down in price. If an item you bought goes on sale within a week or so, many stores will pay you back the difference.
3. Grab a promo code. To find promotional codes, go to RetailMeNot.com or Google the name of the shopping site with the words “coupon code” or “promotion code.”
4. Leverage reward points. The Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card from Chase allows cardmembers to use previously earned reward points to pay for eligible items on Amazon.com. For instance, a cardmember that has earned 5,000 points can redeem them for $50 at checkout for instant savings.
5. Sign-up for email newsletters. Save emails from your favorite retailers in a separate, free email address and look for sales or discount codes. Follow your favorite retailers on Twitter and join their Facebook fan pages which frequently give subscribers early access to sales and discounts.