The 2-Second Trick For Curing Nausea
November 16, 2016
You never know when nausea is going to hit. It can be the result of motion sickness, pregnancy, or food poisoning. It can even be triggered by something as simple as smell. Unfortunately, when nausea hits, you aren’t always in control of the situation. If you have the ability to lay down and relax, lucky you. Many of us aren’t able to stop our day because of nausea. Luckily, there’s a trick that can help relieve you of nausea in just a couple of seconds. All you need to do is apply acupressure with your fingers.
Similar to acupuncture, acupressure is based on the concept of life energy which flows through meridians in the body. Instead of needles, physical pressure is applied to acupuncture points. This pressure is aimed at clearing blockages in these meridians (you can read more here). It sounds complicated, but it’s actually super easy to apply acupressure with your fingers. Just follow the steps below:
- Take your middle and index fingers and form a “C” shape with your hand.
- Rest the wrist of your opposite hand in the “C” shape you just created.
- Locate your Nei Kuan acupressure point (also know as the Pericardium 6 or P6 point) on either wrist. This point is on your inner wrist, approximately 2 or 3 finger widths down from the base of your palm. It is located beneath your index finger, between the two central tendons that run from your wrist down your forearm.
- Press down firmly this point.
- Hold this point for at least 30 seconds to a minute. Then release.
- You should instantly feel relief from your nausea.
This trick works great for me, especially when I get a sudden wave of nausea. I am prone to motion sickness and sea sickness, so I carry around Sea Bands ($6.49) when I am traveling. These wrist bands are designed to apply pressure on the Nei Kuan acupressure point on each wrist by means of a plastic stud. Other effective ways to instantly cure nausea include aroma therapy and ingesting ginger. However, this quick acupressure trick is something you can do no matter where you are and doesn’t cost you a penny.