Last week we showed you the 25 most beautiful closets, each filled with handbags galore. Honestly though, dream closets (and the budgets to fill them) are hard to come by. But here’s a secret: there are only five handbags you really need to own. We kid you not. Check out the list – and our slideshow of editor’s picks for examples of each.
- A Party Purse: Every girl needs a cross-body or clutch bag for going out — be it black, leather, sparkly or gold. Not too fancy, but not too casual, this is your go-to for everything from date night to girls night.
- A Tote Bag: This carry-all is for the days when you’re toting everything but the kitchen sink (your laptop, lunch, work-out gear – it all goes in here). Be it leather, canvas, or nylon, this bag should go with a lot and hold a lot.
- The Evening Bag: Sophisticated occasions (weddings, galas, etc) call for a sophisticated evening bag. A clutch in neutral, easy-to-match hues (black, gold, silver) is the optimal choice.
- The Shoulder Bag: This bag is your workhorse – you carry it to work, out shopping, etc; works best in a neutral “goes-with-everything” shade of leather, like black or camel. Expert tip: opt for a designer bag which will last longer.
- The Designer Splurge: Start saving, because a designer handbag is a must-have part of every woman’s collection. The lasting quality and style make it worth it. After all, this is the bag that will never go out of style and will be in your wardrobe rotation forever. Plus, your daughter will thank you when you pass it down to her! Need inspiration? Shop the 10 most-searched handbags on the planet.