I am a total coat person. There’s an entire closet in my house dedicated entirely to coats and jackets and that’s a BFD conisdering the size of my apartment. I love coats so much that I even carry a jacket with me in the sweltering NYC summer heat. Yes, it’s a problem, but there’s just something about a jacket that takes every outfit to the next level. So with fall upon us, it should come as no surprise that I’m on the hunt for the perfect new topper. And this season, there are so many amazing options to choose from. From printed coats to mixed media jackets, here are the 7 outerwear staples every woman should own for the season.
1. Mixed Media. Mixed materials on coats was huge last year, but it’s even more major this fall. Not only are designers playing with leather accents, but there’s fur and neoprene, too.
2. Printed. Whether plaid, animal print or camo, you need a printed coat this season. Everyone from alice + olivia to Michael Kors made them for fall.
3. Leather. If you haven’t jumped on the leather train, it’s time to get on board. It’s probably the biggest trend of the season, with designers showing everything from leather bomber and moto jackets to leather trenches and capes.
4. Oversized. If you love the idea of bundling up in a warm coat that looks a little too big for you (me!), you’re in luck. Designers like Marc Jacobs and Vince are giving us a break from super fitted silhouettes with huge sweater and cocoon coats for fall.
5. Color. Summer is usually the season associated with color, but that’s all changing this winter. To cure your winter blues, we suggest you pick up a coat in a blindingly bright hue like cobalt blue or hot pink.
6. Quilted. Quilting isn’t just for leather anymore. Some of our fave non-leather toppers got made over with the classic diamond detail this fall.
Know which coat styles you have to have? Shop our faves in the slideshow below.
[Photo: Michael Kors; Milly; Rebecca Minkoff]