Let’s get real: some days, it’s just way too hot to be donning a face full of makeup. Foundation, concealer, eyeshadow, eyeliner, blush, and lipstick? No. Freaking. Way. I love dressing up and, you know, looking pretty, but there’s nothing less sexy than melting concealer and lipstick that finds its way down your chin by lunchtime because it’s like Dante’s Inferno out there.
If you’re like me and the very thought of going outside totally bare-faced sends you into an internal panic, here are a few quick makeup rules to follow so that you still feel done up without running the risk of your face turning into a disaster zone on a really hot day.
1. SPF, SPF, SPF. Say it with me: SPF. Sun protection is absolutely crucial if you plan on being outside at all. Invest in an SPF-laden moisturizer if you don’t want the additional step of having to lather it on yourself, or at the very least, a sunscreen-ready BB/CC cream.
2. Don’t ditch that primer. If you don’t want your face melting off entirely, primer is key. It’ll make your foundation stay put longer, plus it provides protection from those inevitable oil patches that tend to pop up in the middle of the day.
3. Switch to BB cream. No need to go for the heaviest foundation in your collection. Instead, opt for a tinted moisturizer or BB cream–something with a light enough formula to let your skin breathe while still offering a bit of welcome coverage.
4. Be prepared to blot. That doesn’t mean going heavy-handed with powder. Instead, use blotting papers to get rid of any excess “glow.”
5. Let go of the lipstick. They’ll look cake-y and make your face look way too overdone. Craving a bit of color? Opt for a tinted balm instead.
6. Upgrade your mascara. A waterproof formula is obviously great for the beach and pool, but it’ll also be a lifesaver when you find yourself sweating buckets.
7. Stick with cream. Cream formulas are a must for sticky summer days because they’re lighter than powder–and will inevitably cake way less.
Looking for more tips? Try eight unexpected uses for tea tree oil and 7 drugstore skincare finds with really good reputations!