The One Thing You Should Never Do When Drinking From A Plastic Water Bottle
November 2, 2016
I’m sure many of you reuse plastic water bottles–I’m definitely guilty of it! Why would we keep buying a new bottle each time we finish one? That just seems terrible for the environment and a waste of money. Well, there’s actually a very good reason why you should never reuse a plastic water bottle, and it’s totally making me want to buy a reusable bottle, like, ASAP.
Scientists have discovered that ridges and tiny cracks in plastic water bottles are breeding grounds for bacteria and germs. I’m looking at the all the ridges on my Poland Spring bottle (there are sooo many) and, yuck! One study published in the Canadian Journal of Public Health found that out of 76 used plastic water bottles left at room temperature for an extended period of time, two-thirds had bacteria levels beyond what is normal for drinking water guidelines.
Another study from KLTV news looked at plastic water bottles that were reused for just a week and discovered some truly gross findings. Richard Wallace, M.D. from the University of Texas Health Center explained to the news station, “All of those grew lots and lots of bacteria that could make you very sick almost like having food poisoning. That can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. Basically the worst vomiting you have ever had in your life.”
OK, so now that we’re officially off of plastic water bottles, check out some cute reusable options here. And if you must refill a plastic water bottle, doing it once or twice shouldn’t be harmful to your health. You gotta get in your 8 glasses a day!
Don’t forget to check out: bkr’s new water bottles are selling out and how often you should clean your reusable water bottle