Eyeliner is a tricky, but magnificent makeup tool. Applied with just the right amount of pressure and precise skill, it can open up the eye, create drama and help make lashes look a billion times thicker and longer. But the eyelid, as we all know, isn’t a straight, blank canvas upon which we can simply create a flawless line every time. Its curvature–along with the fact that it’s difficult to keep a steady hand and just allow your eyeliner to glide over the lid–make eyeliner application the single most difficult makeup task.
Lucky for us, lots of talented beauty mavens are up for the challenge–and have invented some pretty amazing eyeliner hacks that ensure you get a straight, not-too-thick line every time. Here’s a step-by-step guide to mastering the now-infamous scotch tape eyeliner hack for beautiful winged eyeliner.
1. Apply a small piece of scotch tape (about 2.5-3 inches long) beneath the lower eyelash so that it extends upward along the outer corner of the eye.
2. Using a gel liner like Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner in Blackest Black and an eyeliner brush like Makeup Geek Bent Liner Brush, begin drawing a straight line from the outer corner of your eye along the scotch tape. Don’t worry about creating a mess–the tape prevents your skin from smudges.
3. Starting from the outer corner of the eye, drag the eyeliner in toward the center of the eyelid. Try not to stray from the top lash line.
4. Fill in the eyeliner as you go in order to add depth to the line. With a slow and steady hand, continue to draw your line from the center of your top eyelid to the top inner eyelid, using only the point of your brush in order to prevent the inner lid line from looking too thick.
5. Remove the tape and marvel at the flawless line you’ve created!
Here’s Vlogger Hira Siddiqui showing us how it’s done:
For more beauty tips, check out The 5 eyeliners every woman needs in her makeup collection and A beginner’s guide to eyeliner: 5 Looks that anyone can do.