In case the chilly temps and pumpkin-flavored everything hasn’t quite hit you: fall is here. Jackets! Tall boots! And that first crisp breeze that makes you realize — it’s time for a new jacket. Before the really big chill comes, take advantage of these last few weeks of figure-flattering coverups. We’ve rounded up the best of the best trends from the fall 2012 runways, and (of course!) where you can score them.
- Leather Accents: This season, jackets are all about leather accents – like leather panels, collars or trims. Luckily, leather doesn’t have to be bondage-inspire to have a major impact. As noted on the fall 2012 runways of Yves Saint Laurent, DKNY, and Just Cavalli, a little leather goes a long way.
- Quilted Moto: Cropped moto jackets get an aesthetic upgrade with intricate quilting detail on the sleeves, as seen on the fall 2012 Versace runway. Celebs like Twilight’s Kristen Stewart love this $2,100 Balenciaga Biker jacket, but you can also find the trend for as low as $160 from brands like ASOS and Free People.
- Varsity: Relive your high school glory days (or pretend like you didn’t eat lunch alone) with a grown-up letter jacket. Get the full effect with colorful sleeves — bonus points if they’re leather — like from Anna Sui and JW Anderson for Topshop.
- Mixed Media: The marriage of fabrics was all over the fall runways: Reed Krakoff mastered fur and leather, Bottega Veneta mixed leather with satin, and now retailers are mixing everything from wool, canvas, flannel, suede and more.
- Tweed & Leather: No longer for ladies who lunch, tweed gets an instant dose of edge when paired with leather. As seen on the spring 2012 runways of DKNY, Charlotte Ronson and others, the boucle trend is now for the downtown girl as much as the uptown one.