Resort lines are already on deck for Spring 2010, which reminds me that it’s time to start thinking about the coming warm weather (even if it’s still months away). In the past I’ve been wary of shorts as fashion, but there are some very cute looks abounding that even those afraid of showing their legs can support. These top five shorts spin off the masculine trend we’re seeing now, and are a nice alternative to a dress.
1. These dressy and elegant Diane von Furstenberg Raimer cuffed satin shorts ($225) can be worn with high heels and a toned-down breezy tunic for an evening out, or with sleek metallic sandals for a dressy day option.
2. The ultimate in dolled-up beach wear, these structured dot print shorts ($39.50) by LOFT are comfortable, hip, and super-girly.
3. Luxurious and classy, but feminine at the same time, you can wear these Sonia Rykiel silk shorts ($245) day or night with the right accessories; the bow detail adds a special touch.
4. These Joie Audrey shorts ($77.05) are grown-up and elegant: the button details make them look a little bit retro, and the poppy color is truly fashion forward. Tuck in a nautical striped tee and you’re good to go.
5. The color splashed print on these Rosa Cha Printed cotton shorts ($215) make them a true standout. Temper the bold print with all neutrals, like grey, white or taupe.