While you don’t want to use any bug spray on a newborn, after your baby is 2 months old, it is safe to use some insect repellents. You could use DEET on children, but for those of you us who would rather not, here are some more natural ways to keep the bugs at bay this summer.
1. California Baby is a go-to for natural shampoos, lotions, and bubble baths, and they make an excellent natural bug spray ($15), too. Cedar, citronella and lemongrass make bugs head for the hills without harming humans.
2. If wiping your wiggleworm is more appealing than trying to spray him down, you might like Bug Off! Bug Wipes ($18). These natural wipes also rely on smell to repel, and have geranium, citronella, and rosemary in every one.
3. Lafe’s Organic Baby Insect Repellent ($10) is a good choice if you want to go organic. It’s safe for children of all ages, and is in a BPA-free bottle as well.
4. This lemon-scented bug spray from Kiss My Face ($6) will make sure the only thing kissing your kids is you.
5. Tell bugs to buzz off with this all-natural herbal spray from industry leader Burts Bees ($8). Some customers report that it works well on pets, too!