The best skinny jeans are an ideal form of denim, because they don’t get in the way; a tapered ankle fits so neatly into your favorite knee high leather boots (even before they’re broken in) and will show off the platforms you’ve been saving all year just to slip your feet into. Here are our top five favorite pairs:
1. Just about perfect, these Gap destructed skinny jeans ($34.99, from $64.50) are seriously hot, without being too trendy.
2. If you love the leggings look, but hate leggings on principle, these Rich and Skinny Legacy legging jeans ($150) are the pair for you. They are super-tight but luckily they cling in all the right places.
3. Customers begged J.Crew for the vintage wash jeans in this style without holes–and finally, they delivered: these super soft and comfortable Vintage matchstick jeans ($78, down from $98) are instant classics.
4. Slightly cropped and fitted, with a bit of stretch, 7 for All Mankind’s Gwynevere pair ($150) are not for skinny jean novices.
5. Many of us learned as young girls about the negative effects of wearing light blue denim and have steered our thighs clear of it ever since. These Paige denim jeans ($190) will certainly change your mind.