This weekend, I read an interesting article on Yahoo.com about 20 things to never buy used. Topping the list were two children’s products I totally agree with: cribs and car seats. The sad fact is cribs get recalled like there is no tomorrow, so you never want to risk buying a model that’s been recalled. Also, once a crib has been put together, it’s basically impossible to determine if it was done right and that’s a chance you just don’t want to take. As for car seats, the author of the Yahoo.com article cites potential unseen damage, but I’m going with yuck. Kids eat, pee, poop and do so much more in their car seats, just for cleanliness alone it’s worth dropping a hundred bucks on one of the newest, best car seats.
This article got me thinking about what I would never buy used, so I’m sharing my list with you.
1. Bottles. I don’t care how many times they’ve been washed or sterilized, I just don’t feel comfortable with the idea of my baby drinking from bottles that have (or had) another child’s saliva on them or another mom’s breast milk in them.
2. Breast pump. Not only does the idea of potentially giving my child another woman’s breast milk sort of–okay, really–gross me out, but putting my leaky boob where another mom once put her leaky boob is not cool with me.
3. Bath tub. I’ve caught my daughter peeing in the tub on at least three occasions, so who knows how many more times it’s happened. For that reason alone, you want a brand new tub that no other child has had the opportunity to christen with their urine. Plus, they’re cheap.
4. Sippy cup. I know, for a fact, I’ve seen other mothers pick a fallen sippy cup off the floor, wipe it off and give it back to their child. Heck, I’m even guilty of it myself. If you’re not at the point where you’re okay with germs, you definitely want to invest in a brand new sippy cup for your toddler. Make that a few new ones, actually.
5. Baby gym. After a few months of practice, babies can grab those hanging toys and after a while they’ll start making their way into baby’s mouth. Soon, they’ll become soaked in spit and that’s why you never want someone else’s baby gym. Unless, of course, you don’t mind your baby swapping saliva with another baby.
Okay, now that I’ve shared my list, you have to share yours. What would you never buy used?